“Most home safety is common sense, but there are a few obvious factors not to overlook”
Did you know that 13 million serious injuries and 55,000 accidental deaths occur every year due to home improvement accidents? When it comes to a home improvement project it is important to evaluate all steps in the process and avoid hazards you may encounter along the way. Below we have identified some of the most common hazards to take into consideration when starting your next home improvement project.
- A fall from as little as 3 feet can result in serious injury or even death. Unintentional falls are the leading cause of injury in the home. If you must go on the roof you should exercise the following precautionary measures:
- Use a ladder to access the roof
- Proper shoes should always be worn and avoid the roof if wet, snowy or dew covered
- Stay far away from the edge of the roof and maintain a low center of gravity
- Be mindful of electrical hazards and stay away from live power lines
- During the last decade, electrical injury has been responsible for an average of 320 deaths and over 4,000 injuries.
- Understand your electrical service panel and the function of each component
- Before nailing or drilling be sure to know where electrical wires are in your home and seek professional assistance
- Kill electricity to any part of the home before starting your job. Unplug or turn off any devices in that specific area
- Always assume an electrical circuit is live until you turn off the power
Hand and Power Tools
- About 125,000 serious injuries due to power tools occur annually and 90% of the injuries are lacerations.
- Make sure to always choose the correct tool for the job
- Keep work areas around power tools organized
- Keep metal tools from making contact with an electrical current
- Wear proper eye and hearing protection to avoid injuries
- Do not modify hand tools to use for any intention other than their intended use
To ask questions regarding your home improvement projects tune into WCCO AM 830 on Saturdays from 9:00-10:00am hosted by Denny Long and Andy Lindus. If you would like help with any of your home improvement needs then leave it up to the professionals and visit www.lindusconstruction.com or call 1-800-873-1451.