A lot of homeowners are turning away from carpeting to wood and laminate flooring because they are easier to clean and hypoallergenic. Before deciding whether you wish to go with laminate or
hardwood floors, it’s important to consider the pros and cons of each. This will allow you to make a decision that best suits your family and lifestyle. so that you can make the decision that best suits your family and your lifestyle.
Hardwood Floors-made from harvested trees.
- Timeless look
- Ages well and can even look better with age
- Comes in lots of different patterns, colors and wood grains
- Adds value to your home
- Long lasting
- Can be refinished multiple times to look new
- Significant investment compared to laminate floors
- Wood is a natural material and does not have a consistent look throughout
- Needs to be installed by a professional
- Needs occasional waxing and polishing
- Can change looks over time due to sun exposure
- More prone to scratching, especially if you have pets
Laminate Floors-introduced to the US in 1982 and are made of several materials bonded together through high pressure.
- Easy to install
- Consistent look throughout because the “pattern” is actually a high definition image printed on the material
- More affordable than hard woods
- Does not fade from sun exposure
- Does not expand or contract like hardwood does making it useable in spaces that hardwood would not be able to be used.
- Scratches cannot be buffed out; instead the entire plank must be removed.
- Water damage can cause the planks to rise and may cause them to be replaced. Multiple rows can sometimes need to be pulled out if one plank needs to be replaced.
- Can be noisy so it’s important to have a layer of acoustic underlay so that it doesn’t sound hollow when you walk on it.
- Lower resale value than hardwood floors
In the end, it’s imperative that you consider your pocketbook and your long-term requirements before committing to one of these flooring options. Don’t be afraid to take some time and evaluate your needs before making a decision.
Tune into AM 830 WCCO on Saturdays from 9:00-10:00am hosted by Denny Long and Andy Lindus to ask questions regarding your home improvement projects. Call us now at 1-800-873-1451 or check us out on the web at www.lindusconstruction.com to schedule a free in-home estimate.