Is it that time of year already when we start preparing for hibernation just like the bears? Well it seems to be with the cool crisp mornings and shorter days that are now upon us. Just like spring cleaning, fall cleaning is just as important in preparing your home for the winter months. Below is a fall home chore checklist if you have trouble knowing where to start and what not to forget.
The outside of your home
- Clean and store away patio furniture, umbrellas, grills & children’s summer toys.
- Rake your leaves & fertilize your grass.
- Remove thatch build-up in your yard.
- Clean out your garden.
- Give your trees and shrubs a good drink of water.
- Wash your exterior windows.
- Touch up paint on trim, railings and decks.
- Check caulk around windows and doors and re-caulk if needed.
- Put on storm doors & windows as well as installing weather-stripping on door thresholds.
- Drain and store your garden hoses and sprinkler systems.
- Check your gutters and downspouts for clogging and debris. If you never want to clean your gutters again install the LeafGuard gutter system and IceGuard to greatly reduce icicles.
- Give your outdoor tools a tune up.
- Clean your chimney.
- Clean up any dog debris in your yard.
The inside of your home
- Wash the inside of your windows.
- Turn your mattress.
- Clear your carpets.
- Organize your kitchen cabinets for holiday cooking and entertaining.
- Clean or replace your humidifier elements.
- Check your dryer exhaust tube and vent for build-up.
- Have an inspection on your furnace.
- Buy water salt for your water softener.
- Stock up on furnace filters.
- Drain sediment from your water heater.
- Check all of your appliances in your home to ensure they are properly working.
- Stock up wood for the winter.
Tune into AM 830 WCCO on Saturdays from 9:00-10:00am hosted by Denny Long and Andy Lindus to ask questions regarding your home improvement projects. Call us now at 1-800-873-1451 or check us out on the web at www.lindusconstruction.com to schedule a free in-home estimate.